Windows 10 Survival Guide

Here are a bunch of configuration and tweaks I like to apply to my Windows 10 installations.

Downloads

See Microsoft Software Download.

Privacy

Review Windows 10 user privacy settings as you see fit.
Disable the Connected user experience and Telemetry service.

Prevent PC waking up in the middle of the night

With standard user settings I could not prevent my PC from waking up in the middle of the night to perform some update however there is still a way to disable automatic update.
All you need to do is open the Group Policy Editor got to =Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update and enable Configure Automatic Updates= with whatever option is best for you.
Here is a more thorough guide on Super User.

Prevent desktop icons reset

Due to the various side effects a TV power cycle was having on my apps and desktop I eventually realized that turning off and on the TV caused Windows 10 to trigger a change of resolution and/or font size/DPI. After some research I forced the same DPI for all my displays, virtual and physical by doing the following:
  • Go in: Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display.
  • Click on: set custom scaling level.
  • Set it to whatever works for you, 100% was working fine for me.
Checkout Microsoft Answers

Shut down when pushing sleep button

I find shutting down when pressing the sleep button most useful especially on an HTPC.

Disable full screen notifications

Here is how to disable those blue "Get Update" full screen notifications you can't even discard using your keyboard, the ones that keep interrupting your gaming.

Last edited:
Back