Purpose and ScopeWe provide here information about HID for engineers wanting to gather practical knowledge of that technology. We will focus on the Microsoft Windows platform.
About HIDHuman Interface Device also known as HID protocol is typically used for USB devices such as: mouse, keyboard, gamepad, joystick or IR remote. Some LCD and VFD devices are also known to use HID. Although often implemented over USB, the HID protocol is not bound to it and can be used over other hardware interface.
Personal InterestI first started looking at HID to interface with a USB Futaba VFD module to use with MediaPortal.
As I was unsatisfied with MediaPortal handling of IR remote and other input devices I also ended up rewriting MediaPortal HID handler and in the process I published HID Demo and SharpLibHid.
EvolutionWindows 10 provides a Virtual HID Framework which should make it easier to implement your own driver.
- HID Demo and SharpLibHid.
- HID API for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.
- USB HID Driver Library - Florian Leitner.
- The HID Page and its latest code sample.
- Using Remote Control Input Outside of Windows Media Center
- Microsoft Windows Raw Input